Get free tickets to hear southern swing band Christabel and the Jons on Tuesday August 3, 2010. The lunchtime outdoor concert is free but you must book online in advance to guarantee your tickets. Plus they’ll be playing for swing dancers the same night, with a $4 cover charge.
This Tennessee band led by singer Christa DeCicco looks a lot of fun, with music described as “a blend of Appalachian mountain music and vintage swing.”
Reserve your tickets online for the Christabel and the Jons free music concert – and you can see a YouTube clip of the band at the same link.
- When: Tuesday August 3, 2010
- Time: Noon
- Where: Ernie Pyle Library, 900 Girard Blvd SE.
The performance takes place outside on the lawn, and you’re encouraged to bring blankets and chairs!
* * *
Cristabel and the Jons will also play for the dancers at a weekly swing dance the same night – all ages welcome and a swing dancing lesson included.
- When: Tuesday August 3, 2010
- Time: 7:30 pm (see the Calming Four swing dance website for exact details on lesson and band times).
- Where: The Heights Community Center, 823 Buena Vista Dr SE
- Price: $4
The band is on a national tour – find out more about Cristabel and the Jons at their website.
Comments Off on Fun Free Events this Weekend & for Día de los Niños
Talk about cultural diversity – take your pick of free community events including Suzuki music, swing dance, Día de los Niños celebration for kids, and an environmental talk… at venues from Old Town to Petroglyph National Monument, from Open Space Visitor Center to your local library!
I can’t resist a round-up of some of the most interesting free events sent to ABQ on the Cheap this week or that we’ve spotted in passing. It’s a weekend to try something new!
Saturday April 17, 2010
Hear free music in Old Town by the Suzuki Teachers Association and their students between 2 and 5 pm. Young musicians aged 3 to 18 will perform folk and classical tunes.
There are several family events to celebrate 2010 Día de los Niños at local libraries this Saturday, and at the end of each one, kids can take home a book! (While supplies last).
- Los Griegos Library, 10:30 am – Alaskan storyteller and children’s book author Brett Dillingham tells traditional Alaskan tales and Inuit legends.
- San Pedro Library, 10:30 am – Poetry Slam champ Danny Solis leads fun interactive and bilingual poetry.
- Tony Hillerman Library, 2 pm – Storyteller Ramona King gets everyone involved with her stories.
- Juan Tabo Library, 3 pm – Alaskan storyteller and children’s book author Brett Dillingham tells traditional Alaskan tales and Inuit legends.
Chautauqua speaker Jack Loeffler gives a free talk at Petroglyph National Monument Visitor Center about his adventures with ‘environmental anarchist’ Edward Abbey. The event starts at 2 pm and although it’s free, they only have room for 25 guests, so it’s first-come, first-served.
Watch or join in with swing dance at Old Town Plaza from the Albuquerque Lindy Exchange, between 12:30 and 3 pm.
*** And note that the Anderson-Abruzzo Albuquerque International Balloon Museum joins in with Día de los Niños on Wednesday April 14, with a special version of its regular free Stories in the Sky program from 9:30 to 10:15 am. The kids can enjoy a light breakfast, and Booksworks donates coupons for children’s literature.