Comments Off on Free Movies January 22-25: The Thin Man Series
ABC Library, in partnership with the KiMo Theatre, presents six film adaptations of the The Thin Man book by author Dashiell Hammett. Tickets are not required for these free movies. Screen legends William Powell and Myrna Loy play the characters of Nick and Nora Charles in this comedy-mystery series that was very popular in the late 1930’s and 1940’s. I enjoy watching the fun chemistry between these two mega stars as they solve mysteries. The Thin Man is a fitting subject for this time of year when everyone is going on a diet. After pigging out over the holidays I’m certainly cutting back on the cookies in my aim to become The Thinner Woman!
The Thin Man on Thursday January 22, 2015 from 7 pm at the KiMo Theatre.
After the Thin Man on Friday January 23, 2015 from 8 pm at the KiMo Theatre.
Another Thin Man on Saturday January 24, 2015 from 2 pm at the KiMo Theatre
Shadow of the Thin Man on Saturday January 24, 2015 from 7 pm at the KiMo Theatre
The Thin Man Goes Home on Sunday January 25, 2015 from 2 pm at the KiMo Theatre
Song of the Thin Man on Sunday, January 25, 2015 from 5 pm at the KiMo Theatre
The KiMo Theatre is located at 423 Central Avenue NW (corner of 5th and Central) and there is a large parking facility right behind the Theatre at 5th and Copper.
Comments Off on Free Movies: Books to the Big Screen
Albuquerque’s Books to the Big Screen free movie series celebrates books that have been adapted to film. I’m celebrating too as you don’t have to pay a cent to enjoy these film favorites.
The series runs through January 2013 in an initiative by Albuquerque and Bernalillo County Libraries, partnering with various screening locations including the Guild Cinema and the South Broadway Cultural Center. There are movies here for adults and kids, starting on January 5.
The Books to the Big Screen free movies on the schedule at time of writing are:
- January 5 at 12:30 pm : Wise Blood directed by John Huston, based on the Flannery O’Connor novel, at The Guild Cinema.
- January 12 at 12:30 pm : Watership Down based on the Richard Adams book, at The Guild Cinema.
- January 12 at 2 pm : Charlotte’s Web from the children’s book by E.B. White, at the South Broadway Cultural Center’s John Lewis Theater.
- January 19 at 11 am : Sense and Sensibility from the Jane Austen novel and starring Emma Thompson, Kate Winslet, Hugh Grant and Alan Rickman, at the Downtown Main Library on Copper.
- January 26 at 11 am : Little Women based on the Louisa May Alcott classic and starring Winona Ryder, at the Downtown Main Library.
- January 26 at 2 pm : Vertigo, the Alfred Hitchcock thriller starring James Stewart and Kim Novak, based on the French novel by Pierre Boileau and Thomas Narcejac, at the Special Collections Library on the corner of Central and Edith.
Admission is free – check out the Books to the Big Screen site for updates and more info.
Comments Off on Free Movies: Books to the Big Screen Film Festival
See three free movies but collect your tickets first – seating is limited.
The Books to the Big Screen Film Festival is a new initiative by Albuquerque and Bernalillo County Libraries, and the Guild Cinema. The three free movies show on Saturdays during this January 2011, kicking off with the Shawshank Redemption on January 8. I love that film, starring the excellent Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman.
The Books to the Big Screen free movies are:
- January 8 at 1 pm : The Shawshank Redemption (from the book by Stephen King)
- January 15 at 1 pm : Stand By Me (from Stephen King’s novella, directed by Rob Reiner)
- January 22 at 1 pm : Slaughterhouse Five (from the book by Kurt Vonnegut)
Those aged under 17 must be accompanied by an adult to gain admission to each of the above.
At time of writing, we know that the Library definitely still has tickets for all three movies. (The Cinema probably has too, I just haven’t had chance to call there.)
Movies screen at the Guild Cinema in Nob Hill, 3405 Central Avenue NE.