Comments Off on First Friday Artscrawl
The Albuquerque art gallery crawl is this Friday October 5, 2012, with 24 galleries participating in Nob Hill, Old Town, Downtown and the Northeast Heights.
The free Albuquerque Artscrawl has been running for years of course, but new visitors in town for Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta might not know about it, and this one is perfectly timed for Fiesta-visitors this Friday evening October 5, starting at 5 pm.
During the Artscrawls galleries stay open later than usual to host exhibit openings, receptions, and demonstrations, and you can take yourself along to just one or do an arts-fest crawl of several of the events on the trail. On the First Friday of the month the crawl includes galleries throughout Albuquerque, while the Third Friday of the month crawls focus on a specific district.
The First Friday Artscrawl on October 5 has a line-up of 24 galleries throughout the city. You can find the full list of participating galleries, their locations, and the hours for each event at the link, but a few tasters include:
- Leich Lathrop Gallery in Old Town opens Stephanie Lerma’s Placebo Effect (5:30-7:30 pm at 323 Romero Street NW)
- Sumner & Dene Downtown presents an artist reception of Pastel Landscapes by Iva Morris, including New Mexico landscapes (5-9 pm at 517 Central Avenue NW)
- Gallerie Imaginarium Downtown holds an artist reception for Elana Schwartz and her carved linden wood sculptures (5-7pm at 301D Central Avenue NW, entrance on 3rd Street)
- High Desert Art & Frame in the NE Heights has a reception for Voluntary Simplicity by acrylics artist Jackie Bregman (5-8pm at 12611 Montgomery Boulevard NE)
- Quilt Exhibit and Benefit by the Cancer Resource Center with displays of quilts plus music, food, and drink (5-9 pm at the William Platz Gallery on the campus of Southwest University of Visual Arts, 5000 Marble Avenue NE)
- Abstract New Mexico reception at Matrix Fine Art, Nob Hill, for the juried show of abstract art (5-8pm, 3812 Central Ave SE)
- The Artistic Image in the Nob Hill area holds a reception for Between Two Worlds, Our People Our Land by Robert Medina Cook, who was named a 2012 Local Treasure by the Albuquerque Art Business Association. (5-10pm at 312 Adams Street SE)
The Albuquerque Art Business Association runs the regular Artscrawls, and the next one will be the
Old Town Artscrawl on Friday October 19.
Comments Off on Free Gallery Opening: J Wayne Marine Art
We know lots of folks who are wild about marine art, especially dolphins. If you’re in that camp, you’ll want to visit the grand opening of J Wayne Marine Art on Friday, May 1 (2009).
From 5:00 – 8:30pm, pop by to view the fabulous Dolphin Gallery or enjoy the eclectic mix of abstract, contemporary, realist, and landscape paintings throughout the gallery. Plus, meet the artist J Wayne, himself, and see a demonstration of his technique!
This gallery opening is being held in conjunction with the First Friday Artscrawl.
The J Wayne Art Gallery is located at 621 Amherst NE, Albuquerque.
Comments Off on Get your art on: Opening reception for Curtis Thorpe
I love prints. Whether lithos or etchings or whatever, I love them. There’s a certain magic in the artistry of printmaking.
That’s why I’m highlighting this week’s First Friday Artscrawl. As usual, all Artscrawl events are free. This week, check out the opening reception for Tijeras artist and master printmaker Curtis Thorpe. His exhibition of etchings at Bright Rain Gallery will be up throughout February. So, head on over this Friday and check out Curtis’ work, shake his hand, and maybe take yourself home a gorgeous print.
WHAT: Opening reception for Curtis Thorpe
WHEN: Friday, February 6, until 8:30pm
WHERE: Bright Rain Gallery, 206 1/2 San Felipe NW #122, in the Patio Market, Old Town