Santa Fe Opera Free Events
The Santa Fe Opera is rolling out a slew of free and cheap events over next couple of weeks, which is music to the ears of opera lovers!
SFO presents the world premiere of “The Letter” on Saturday, July 25 (2009), but even the cheapest tickets — at $81 — might be a little steep for some people. However, you can still enjoy three free or cheap events related to the opera:
- Saturday, 7/25, at 10:00am at the Lensic Theater (211 W. San Francisco St, Santa Fe), “The Letter” composer Paul Moravec, librettist Terry Teachout, and moderator John Kennedy lead a symposium about the opera. FREE admission; general seating.
- Tuesday, 7/28, at 6:30pm in Stieren Orchestra Hall (on the SFO campus), Santa Fe New Music plays Moravec’s The Time Gallery and Tempest Fantasy. $10 general admission tickets.
- Sunday, 8/2, at 4:00pm at Collected Works bookstore (202 Galisteo St, Santa Fe), Jonathan Richards reads the Somerset Maugham short story that inspired the opera. FREE.
Also, unrelated to “The Letter,” the Santa Fe Opera Apprentices perform in three FREE concerts over the next few weeks:
- Sunday, 7/26, at 3:00pm is the Albuquerque Community Concert, Faith Lutheran Church, 10000 Spain Rd NE, Albuquerque.
- Thursday, 7/30, at 11:30pm is the Santa Fe Community Concert, Cathedral Basilica of St. Francis, 131 Cathedral Pl, Santa Fe. In honor of Santa Fe’s 400th anniversary, this performance will feature a program of sacred music.
- Wednesday, 7/29, and Thursday, 8/13, at 6:00pm both days are the “Courtyard Concerts” at Encantado Resort, 198 State Road 592, Santa Fe. No cover, complimentary champagne, cash bar.
The Santa Fe Opera campus is located seven miles north of Santa Fe on the west side of US Highway 84/285.