Free Composting Classes
Free composting classes and vermicomposting classes too? I’ll need my rubber gloves for this one!
As far as I’m aware, there are three advantages of composting. Firstly, it’s a good way to dispose of veggie peelings and other food and organic waste, including leaves and cut grass. (The smart people at the Open Space Visitor Center tell me that food waste is the single largest and least recovered waste stream in the USA.)
Secondly, composting is great for mulching and aeration if you’re into organic gardening, rather than buying commercial fertilizers. And last but not least… it’s free!
I’m no gardening expert. (Mr Cheap has the green thumb around here. With the exception of my lovingly-tended herbs, I usually only have to look at a plant and it withers… even if I have my make-up on.) But I’ve planted a strip of green beans, kale, Swiss chard, and broccoli this season, all nourished by our own compost, and they’re doing pretty well so far. Fingers crossed!
If you’re interested in learning about composting, Bernalillo County Extension Master Composters offer a bunch of free composting classes for all ages at various locations, including vermicomposting or composting with worms.
Although the classes are free they usually require registration before the event, so check details at the link to see where to phone or email to register for each class, as well as full info on times and locations.
Updated dates for summer 2014: These are the upcoming free composting classes for the next few months, but check the schedule in case of additions or changes:
- July 23 : Home Composting in the Desert 6:00 pm (UNM Continuing Education)
- July 26 : Home Composting Basics 10:00 am (Palo Duro Senior Center)
- August 7 : Home Composting Basics 5:00 pm (Los Volcanos Senior Center)
- August 9 : Composting with Worms (Vermicomposting) 10:00 am (Palo Duro Senior Center)
- August 17 : Home Composting Basics 1:45 pm (Albuquerque Tomato Fiesta)
- August 30 : Home Composting Basics 10:00 am (Los Volcanos Senior Center)
- September 11 : Composting with Worms (Vermicomposting) 5:00 pm (Los Volcanos Senior Center)
- September 18 : Home Composting Basics 5:30 pm (Loma Colorado Public Library)
- September 27 : Composting with Worms (Vermicomposting) 10:00 am (Los Volcanos Senior Center)
- October 9 : Bucket Composting with Bokashi Method 5:00 pm (Los Volcanos Senior Center)
- October 15-November 8 : Master Composter Training Wednesdays and Saturdays (Bernalillo County Extension Office)
- October 25 : Bucket Composting with Bokashi Method 10:00 am (Los Volcanos Senior Center)