Blue Star Free Museums Admission for Active Military: May 27-Sept 2
Participating Albuquerque museums and others across New Mexico offer free admission to military personnel and family members, starting on Memorial Day until September 2, 2013.
The terrific Blue Star Museums initiative is a partnership between Blue Star Families, the National Endowment for the Arts, and 2,000+ museums and monuments nationwide, to give free admission to active duty military personnel and their families. It kicks off, appropriately enough, on Memorial Day May 27, and runs till Labor Day September 2, 2013.
The free admission is for the military ID holder plus up to 5 immediate family members, defined as a spouse or child, aunts, uncles, and grandparents etc. Families of deployed military can still benefit from the offer with the required documentation. Some special museum exhibits may not be included in the program. And – sorry! – the offer isn’t for veterans.
The Blue Star Museums FAQ gives full details on who is eligible and the required ID – please read those before setting off!
Here’s the list of participating New Mexico Museums and state monuments- but keep checking the Blue Star Museums page, more might join later (we can only hope!):
- Albuquerque Museum of Art & History
- National Hispanic Cultural Center
- New Mexico Museum of Natural History & Science
- Coronado State Monument
Santa Fe museums:
- New Mexico History Museum and the Palace of the Governors
- Georgia O’Keeffe Museum
- Museum of International Folk Art
- Museum of Spanish Colonial Art
- Museum of Indian Arts and Culture
Other New Mexico museums:
- Belen Harvey House Museum Belen
- Millicent Rogers Museum Taos
- Los Alamos Historical Museum Los Alamos
- Bradbury Science Museum Los Alamos
- Jemez State Monument Jemez Springs
- Silver City Museum Silver City
- Western New Mexico University Museum Silver City
- Tucumcari Historical Museum Tucumcari
- New Mexico Farm & Ranch Heritage Museum Las Cruces
- Las Cruces Museum of Art Las Cruces
- Las Cruces Railroad Museum Las Cruces
- Artesia Historical Museum and Art Center Artesia
- Herzstein Memorial Museum Clayton
- Fort Sumner State Monument Bosque Redondo Memorial Fort Sumner
- Lincoln State Monument Lincoln
- Fort Selden State Monument Radium Springs
As a sidenote: The Albuquerque Wine Festival gives a $3 discount for active duty and retired military with valid photo ID on Monday May 27, 2013. Regular admission is $20. The discount is ONLY for the service member and only for Monday.