New Mexico State Fair 2012 Discounts and Freebies
The 2012 New Mexico State Fair in Albuquerque runs from September 12 to 23, 2012, with the NM State Fair Parade (my favorite part of the whole affair) on Saturday September 15. Note that on opening day September 12, Fair admission starts at 2 pm. After that, the grounds open daily at 9 am.
Admission for the NM State Fair is slightly higher this year, at $10 for adults, $7 for seniors (aged 62+), and $7 for children aged 6 to 12. Children aged 5 and under still get in free.
The good news is that it’s free parking at the State Fair Grounds this year. As parking was $7 last year (or $5 – 10 in parking lots near the grounds) at least you’ll save cash when you’re hitching your wagon!
The 2012 carnival daily ride wristbands for all-day unlimited rides costs $20 on Monday through Thursday (opening at noon), and $25 on Friday through Sunday (opening at 11 am). The exception is half-price ride day on Thursday September 20, when ride passes are $10.
You can see the full New Mexico State Fair details and schedule of events at their website. But if you’re looking for a deal, here are the promotion days with discounts, and with free admission for our hero members of the community. These are the ones I’ve found so far… I’ll update as and when others are announced, and please do leave a comment in the box below this post if you know of any other NM State Fair deals!
- Free Arts Preview Night on Tuesday September 11, from 5 pm, to see the art at the various galleries within the Expo NM Fair Grounds.
- Wednesday September 12: The Fair opens at 2 pm with an opening day special of $2 Midway rides – the price is per ride.
- Thursday September 13: Law Enforcement Day with free admission to uniformed law enforcement officers… you must be an officer and you must be in uniform!
- Friday September 14: Firefighters Day with free admission for uniformed firefighters – again, you must be in uniform.
- Saturday September 15: The New Mexico State Fair Parade is free to watch of course – starting at approximately 8:30 am and ending about three years later. (It’s a jolly long parade!) The parade leaves from the Expo NM Fairgrounds and heads east along Central Avenue to Eubank.
- Tuesday September 18: Two-Dollar Tuesday with $2 Midway rides and $2 deals from participating Midway games and food vendors.
- Thursday September 20: Military & Veterans’ Day with free admission for uniformed and active military with ID and for veterans with ID.
- Thursday September 20: Half-Price Ride Day with all-day ride pass wristbands for unlimited Midway rides at the half price of $10.
- Find 24 Friends: If you have a super-large family or an awful lot of people you’d like to go gnaw turkey legs with, a group of 25 or more gets a discount. Contact the box office for info: (505) 222-9707.
The New Mexico State Fair is held at Albuquerque’s EXPO New Mexico State Fair Grounds. Enter via Gate 1 (Central Avenue) or Gate 8 (Louisiana west of Lomas) as Gate 9 is closed this year. Parking is free at either Gate 1 or Gate 8.