Free Fishing Derby: April 14
Albuquerque’s 6th Annual Free Fishing Derby takes place on Saturday April 14, 2012, from 6:30 am to 4 pm. The NM Department of Game and Fish will stock 5000 rainbow trout for the fishing derby, and the derby is for all ages, although you need a New Mexico fishing license to take part if you’re aged 12 years or older. If you don’t have one, they’re apparently no longer selling them at Tingley Beach but the New Mexico Department of Game and Fish gives a list of where to buy a NM fishing license. I understand that the nearest vender to Tingley Beach is at the Kmart on Central Avenue, west of the river.
The day’s fun includes:
- Quality Baits is giving away wax worms to the first 200 people reporting to the prize table (you don’t need to have caught any fish. I suppose the worms will help you do that!)
- 40 children aged 8 and younger will receive a free Pirates of the Caribbean sleeping bag when they catch any trout and take it to the prize table.
- Over 100 fishing derby prizes are up for grabs for those catching a tagged rainbow trout between 7 am and 4 pm.
- When: Saturday April 14, 2012
- Time: 6:30 am to 4 pm
- Where: Tingley Beach
- Price: Free, but you must have a valid fishing license.
Tingley Beach is part of the ABQ BioPark – Contact (505) 768-2000 for any further information.