Albuquerque Maize Maze & Pumpkin Palooza
The Albuquerque Maize Maze hasn’t been quite itself this year and it hasn’t been open in the regular way. However, the Rio Grande Community Farm has now created a 7-acre maize maze and we can enjoy it this weekend!
The main event is the Pumpkin Palooza on Saturday October 26 from noon to 5 pm. There is a suggested donation of $5 to join the fun. Pumpkin-themed activities will be accompanied by live music from The Saltine Ramblers and Chuck Hawley. They’ll also have pumpkins for sale and artists painting outdoors. Highlights include:
- 12 noon to 3 pm: Pumpkin painting contest ($2 to enter with the purchase of a pumpkin)
- 12 noon to 4:30 pm: Pie Eating Contest for speedy eaters ($5 entry fee, $3 for kids aged 12 and under)
- 1 pm to 4:30 pm: Pumpkin Olympics on the obstacle course ($2 entry fee)
- 4 pm: Halloween Costume Contest, including a costumed canine category
There are some pretty good prizes in the contests, including packages and gift cards from Hinkle Family Fun Center, Vinaigrette Bistro, La Montanita Co-op, Leisure Bowl, Annapurna’s and lots more.
If you want to visit the Albuquerque Maize Maze at another time this weekend, the opening times are:
- Friday October 25 from 3 pm to 7 pm
- Saturday October 26 from 9 am to 7 pm (The Pumpkin Palooza takes place in the middle of that, from 12-5pm)
- Sunday October 27 from 9 am to 7 pm
Admission is $5 and kids aged under 3 go free.
The 2013 maze is actually a mix of corn and tall sorghum. I don’t suppose many of us will mind.
Rio Grande Community Farm is located at 1701 Montano Road NW, with access at Los Poblanos Fields Open Space. (1.1 miles west of 4th Street.)