Globalquerque 2011 Free Global Fiesta
Know much about Polynesian log drums? Here’s your chance to enjoy song and dance from around the world at Globalquerque, Albuquerque’s annual celebration of world music and culture. There’s a free global fiesta with family-friendly entertainment and activities on Saturday September 17, and tickets for the main festival are discounted if you buy in advance!
Globalquerque 2011 takes place September 16-17 at The National Hispanic Cultural Center, including a day of no-ticket-needed events at the Free Global Fiesta on September 17 from 10:30 am to 4 pm. Live performances, crafts, and activities are appropriate for kids as well as adults.
Some of the free Fiesta fun includes:
- Dance classes from Zydeco dances to Salsa, West African dance, and Pacific Islands dances
- Musical Traditions of the South Pacific including those Polynesian log drums (12:45 pm)
- Crafts including making musical instruments and the chance to make Brazilian carnival masks, Pakistani twirling palm puppets, Maori necklaces and Nigerian clothespin dolls
- Board games from around the world
- Performances by Circo Latino and the Duke City Hoopers
- A talk on Frank McCulloch: A Life in Music and Art at 2:30 pm in the Wells Fargo Theatre
And lots more – including a GlobalCOOKIE contest! Plus, world food vendors cook up dishes to go with the world music, and everyone gets free admission to the National Hispanic Cultural Center Art Museum all day. Check out the full Free Global Fiesta schedule.
If all the free festivities aren’t enough, order tickets for the main festival by September 15 to take advantage of Globalquerque advance ticket prices. An adult two-day pass is $50, or a one day pass is $30. (Children 12 and under = $25/$15). If you wait till the day of the event, tickets cost up to $10 more, so don’t miss out on a chance to save a few bucks by purchasing advance tickets by September 15.
Performers at Globalquerque include:
- Buffy Sainte-Marie (love her!)
- Frank McCulloch y Sus Amigos
- Felix y Los Gatos
- Baraka Moon
- Burkina Electric
- Te Vaka
- Cedric Watson & Bijou Creole
Globalquerque takes place at the The National Hispanic Cultural Center, located at 1701 4th Street SW, Albuquerque.