ABQ Museum Free Evening: ABQ Poet Laureate & Hip Hop
The Albuquerque Museum of Art and History offers free evening admission on select Thursdays (usually the third Thursday of each month), with talks and special events on those evenings.
The next Albuquerque Museum free Thursday evening is this Thursday October 17, 2013. There is no charge for admission from 5 pm and hours are extended until 8:30 pm.
Albuquerque poet laureate Hakim Bellamy has designed the event for this month’s free Thursday evening on October 17. Of course you’ll be able to hear poetry performances throughout the evening, as well as listen to music and watching dancers from hip hop dance crews. There will also be a chance to participate in an artist–led mural inside the museum. The community night provides a great opportunity to check out the current gallery exhibit African American Art in the 20th Century, on tour from the Smithsonian American Art Museum.
In between the activities, visitors can grab a snack at the Slate at the Museum cafe and browse the museum gift store.
Admission to the Albuquerque Museum is also free on:
- Saturdays from 2 pm to 5 pm – this is a new free afternoon that they’ve recently added!
- Sundays from 9 am to 1 pm
- All day on the first Wednesday of the month
Even on free days and evenings, expect to pay the usual fees for special exhibits.
The regular admission price is:
- $4 for adults, or $3 for New Mexico residents with ID. (Ages 13 – 64)
- BUT out-of-state visitors can get the same $3 deal for adults/teens if they buy tickets to Albuquerque Museum online and print them out at home.
- $2 for seniors (65+) wherever you hail from
- $1 for kids aged 4-12.
- Children aged 3 and under go free.
If you’re visiting Albuquerque so don’t know your way around these parts, the Albuquerque Museum of Art and History is located at the corner of Mountain Road and 19th Street, in Albuquerque Old Town.