Women & Creativity 2013 Events
Viva Women and Creativity! There’s a bunch of great free and cheap stuff going on throughout March as part of the Women & Creativity 2013 event organized by the National Hispanic Cultural Center and the Harwood Art Center.
Albuquerque Women & Creativity 2013 events run until March 31, and are held in various locations. Some require advance reservations or have maximum attendance numbers. Highlights include:
- Free Opening Reception with live music to kick off the month’s celebrations, on Friday March 1 from 6 – 8 pm at Harwood Art Center, 1114 7th Street NW.
- Yoga Trip: Journey With the Heart on March 2 and March 30, both at 8:30 am. A morning yoga workshop to balance your chakras and connect to your creative intentions. By donation ($3 – $10 suggested) at the National Hispanic Cultural Center.
- Free Sing-Along Classes on Tuesdays in March from 6:30 pm – 8 pm. Cantando La Cultura is led by New Mexico musicians to teach the history and music of traditional New Mexican and Latin American songs. At the National Hispanic Cultural Center on Tuesdays March 5, 12, 19, and 26.
- Happy Arte Hour on March 7, making small wood collage vignettes in this free workshop for adults from 5:30 – 7:30 pm at the National Hispanic Cultural Center. Although it’s free, they encourage donations and reservations, and you’ll be able to refresh yourself at the cash bar with tapas for sale!
- Free Films on Fridays at noon, at UNM Women’s Resource Center, screening films made by and about women and girls, on March 1, 8, 15, 22 and 29.
- Tin Collage Workshop on March 18 from 5:30 – 7 pm, including a short lecture on upcycled art, then make your own recycled art with supplies provided. Register in advance as they have a limit of 20 people, at Harwood Art Center.
- Four Poets Respond on March 16 at 7 pm, featuring Jasmine Cuffee, Valerie Martínez, Shelle Sánchez, and my talented friend Jamie Figueroa in a performance of Four Poets, Two Rivers, One Water. The event (by donation) is at the National Hispanic Cultural Center.
- You can also join in from home with Play Along projects. Sign up for Write & Share by February 28, for the decorated trading card exchange by March 15 (they provide the cards), or join the resolution to commit ten acts of creativity in March. Come on – get inspired!
This is just a tiny sampling of all the events, performances, and exhibitions.
Check out the complete Women & Creativity schedule for 2013 to see all the options for each week, full details on times and locations, and any registration requirements.–Tania