Elena Gallegos Summer Sunset Series
The Elena Gallegos Summer Sunset Series is underway for 2012, with free talks and performances through August 25, 2012.
This Albuquerque Open Space program at Elena Gallegos Park offers family-friendly events at sunset on Saturday evenings, and I always forget about this until it’s part-way through the summer. But it’s so lovely up there (and a tad cooler) and there’s still plenty of time to enjoy it! Especially if you take a picnic to enjoy with the views.
The Elena Gallegos Summer Sunset Series includes talks on subjects from reptiles to the weather, and entertainment including poetry and live music. Although the events themselves are free, there is a $2 per vehicle entry charge to the park.
All events are on Saturdays at 7 pm, and all are held at Elena Gallegos Double Shelter Amphitheater unless otherwise noted. The schedule looking ahead is:
- June 30: Prehistoric Technology demo and talk by Ron Fields from Petroglyph National Monument
- July 7: The Science of Weather talk
- July 14: New Mexico Reptiles and Amphibians talk and display
- July 21: Filipino Cultural Dance Group (this one is at the Kiwanis Shelter)
- July 28: Fire on the Mountain talk
- August 4: Nanoscience and DNA talk
- August 11: Poetry and Spoken Word from various performers
- August 18: Ballads and Runes in stories and music, including a hurdy gurdy player!
- August 25: One Man Band Chris Nolan
See the full Elena Gallegos Summer Sunset Series schedule and details including directions.
Or here are directions to Elena Gallegos Park at the end of Simms Park Road, in a PDF with maps for both Sunset Series venues.