Elena Gallegos Picnic Area Summer Sunset Series
The Elena Gallegos Picnic Area Summer Sunset Series is underway for 2014, with free talks and performances through August 23, 2014.
This Albuquerque Open Space program at Elena Gallegos Picnic Area offers family-friendly events at sunset on Saturday evenings. I often forget about this until it’s part-way through the summer. But it’s lovely up there and a tiny bit cooler than the city center, so there’s a lot to enjoy! Especially if you take a picnic to devour with the views.
The 2014 Elena Gallegos Summer Sunset Series includes talks on subjects from food history to the life of a cop. Entertainment includes storytelling, dance, and live music. Although the events themselves are free, there is a $2 per vehicle entry charge to the park.
All events are on Saturdays at 7 pm, except for Solar Viewing on June 1st which will begin at 5 pm, and all are held at Elena Gallegos Double Shelter Amphitheater. The schedule looking ahead is:
- June 28: Kevin Caffrey and The San Gregorio Jam Crew will entertain with a night of Beatles Sing-a-long.
- July 5:The Nahalat Shalom Community Klezmer Band with Rikud Dance Troupe, presenting a concert of Eastern European music and dance.
- July 12: Flamenco- Kiwanis Shelter. Watch the Students of Casa Flamenca perform Flamenco under the direction of Jesus Muñoz.
- July 19: Meet the Birds of Avian Ambassadors – An enchanting bird talk and display by Sid Price of Avian Ambassadors.
- July 26: Strange But True Tales of New Mexico – Enjoy an evening of New Mexico stories by talented Storyteller Mary Diecker.
- August 2: Poetry and Spoken Word evening featuring various artists led by Gina Marselle.
- August 9: Kubatana Marimba Ensemble –Albuquerque’s African Marimba Band will perform Zimbabwe inspired traditional and contemporary music.
- August 16: Ballads and Runes in stories and music. The evening of ancient tales and original music is performed by Scott and Johanna Hongell-Darsee and their guests.
- August 23: Seth Hoffman – Seth is a musical performer who will entertain with songs he’s written describing his travels and the unique characters we encounter on our journey through life.
See the full Elena Gallegos Picnic Area Summer Sunset Series schedule and details including directions.
Elena Gallegos Picnic Area is part of the Albuquerque Open Space system. Find it at the end of Simms Park Road, east of Tramway Boulevard, just north of Academy.